In part 1 I showed you how to scaffold a task using tfx-cli, how to customize the manifest and how to implement the PowerShell script for my VersionAssemblies task. In this post I’ll show you how I went about developing the Node version of the task and how I uploaded the completed task to my TFS server.
SonarQube is a fantastic tool for tracking technical debt, and it’s starting to make some inroads into the .NET world as SonarSource collaborates with Microsoft. I’ve played around with it a little to start getting my hands dirty.
I was working with a customer recently that put a website into Azure Web Apps. This site needed to connect to their backend databases (which they couldn’t move to Azure because legacy systems still needed to connect to it). We created an Azure VNet and configured site-to-site connectivity that created a secure connection between the Azure VNet and their on-premises network.
I’ve been setting up a couple of VMs in Azure with a TFS demo. Part of the demo is release management, and I finally got to upgrade Release Management to the 2015 release. I wanted to test integrating with the new build vNext engine. I faced some “fun” gotchas along the way. Here are my findings.
TFS 2015 has almost reached RTM! If you upgrade to CTP2, you’ll see a ton of new features, not least of which are significant backlog and board improvements, the identity control, Team Project rename, expanded features for Basic users, the new Build Engine, PRs and policies for Git repos and more. Because of the schema changes required for Team Project rename, this update can take a while. If you have large databases, you may want to run the “pre-upgrade” utility that will allow you to prep your server while it’s still online and decrease the time required to do the upgrade (which will need to be done offline).
Recently I got to write a couple of articles which were posted on the Northwest Cadence Blog. I am not going to reproduce them here, so please read them on the NWCadence blog from the links below.
Visual Studio Online (VSO) and TFS 2015 keep getting better and better. One of the coolest features to surface recently is the ability to add (supported) extensions to VSO. My good friend Tiago Pascoal managed to hack VSO to add extensions a while ago, but it was achieved via browser extensions, not through a supported VSO extensibility framework. Now Tiago can add his extensions in an official manner!
Now that VNext builds are in Preview, you should be moving your build definitions over from the “old” XAML definitions to the new VNext definitions. Besides the fact that I suspect at some point that XAML builds will be deprecated, the VNext builds are just much better, in almost every respect.
In my previous post I walked through how to change Aurelia to load modules via Require.js so that you can set breakpoints and debug from VS when you run your Aurelia project. In this post I want to share some tips about unit testing your Aurelia view-models.